CLINK HERE FOR A COMPLETE INDEX TO ITEMS ON THIS BLOG

Friday 14 June 2019

BEF platoon 28mm

My BEF platoon is ready for CANCON 2020.
Having completed the platoon so early in the year will help  with play testing the scenarios which will be prepared for the  event .

The figures are metal, except for a couple which are late war Brits converted to early war to make up a short fall in the number of figures.

All the figures are from  Warlord games and they have all been well feed with Pot roast lamb and mash potatoes to plump them out into a Heroic pose
They are nice figures to work on, the sculpts are well  defined which does help immensely with painting.


My BEF platoon with a extra section at the ready to be placed in the support list.

  
Two Senior Leaders on Hex bases.
The leader on the right, had a modification done to his right arm, his pointed finger was removed and his arm was cut at the elbow and positioned to differentiate him from the Junior Leaders. 

Three of the Four Junior leaders on square bases. 

Infantry on round bases.




One of 3 Prone Bren teams in my Platoon.

 

Standing Bren team, I only manage to secure one.

To make up the 3rd man in the team I used a late war British plastic added a pouch to house the gas mask over his chest and removed the entrenchment tools on his back around his waist. I also selected a mustache for him to give him the veteran look from WW 1.

By the way if you are wondering what that brownish short sleeve is doing on the middle figures arm, its actually a chemical warfare indicator.




This image shows the figures in bare metal, I added the gun straps to all the figures using Milliput, a little detail which does make a difference to the figures appearance.
Figures primed black and the start of the painting process is underway, I always start with the flesh bits.



(seems I get a better image when take pictures of single figures with my cheap camera)
The Uniform and webbing etc are painted and ready to more onto the helmet, rifle, boots and base.
The base colours I used are:
Uniform: Vallejo model colour English uniform
Webbing,pouches straps,gaiter: Vallejo Model colour Russian uniform.
Boots: VMC black grey
Canteen: VMC Beige brown
Rifle:  VMC Mahogany 
Helmet: VMC 896
To highlight the basic colours,I mixed in VMC Iquai sand in increasing  portions.  

My homemade figure holding rack  with the painting process underway, I tend to paint 14 figures at a time.
With the painting complete the addition of tuffs and flock is added to the base. I make my own tuffs follow this link; Static grass applicator



cheers John 

31 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning John! Your painting style is proper eye candy :o)
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt for your comments
      cheers John

      Delete
  2. This article is very good! :-)
    Good pictures!
    Excellent painting!
    Big Bravo!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you L'Empereur Zoom 13 for your comments
      cheers John

      Delete
  3. Beautiful as usual- but can they fight? Looking forward to seeing them in action, allbeit from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dick for your comments
      cheers John

      Delete
  4. Lovely as always!
    It's a bit hard to see - but have you trimmed way the original metal figures before affixing the troops to their magnetic bases?
    Also, any tips on making slings? Do the ends need to be "glued" to the rifles or is just kneading them in sufficient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob, Yes I have trimmed the metal base of the figures with a pair of hobby clippers but I am mow bases them on thin strips of metal and applying the Milliput onto of that instead of using the magnetic sheets, I found that the magnetic strips where not as secure in holding the figures down in my storage box, so I had to rethink how to secure them. The metal sheet is very thin and comes from those boards from a 2 dollar shop which have one side with a cork layer for pinning stuff on and the other a metal side for using magnets to pin stuff up. I will do a article on the blog soon with my new method.
      cheers JOhn

      Delete
    2. You can PM me if you are not sure what I mean

      Delete
    3. John
      Looking forward to blog on the new basing technique!
      Rob

      Delete
  5. Typically lovely work, John. Now all I'm hoping is that they won't cut & run off again to the nearest beach for evacuation if the filthy Boche smacks them some in Round 1, leaving my gallant sons of Le Belle France to continue the fight on our own (again). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, the BEF know that your French troops will be backing them up
      cheers John.

      Delete
  6. First class minis, great job!

    ReplyDelete

  7. Wow! This is the steepness. Cool I admire!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking BEF! Great conversions and all very character full!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very impressive work!
    /Mattias

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look absolutely wonderful and the addition of the rifle slings really brings them to a whole other level. Wish I had thought about this before I did mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick for your comments and yes the addition of the straps does make a different, you can add straps for future projects if they are missing and your BEF painting was very inspirational for me.
      cheers John

      Delete
  11. This has inspired me. I have had the BEF box from Warlords for years and it has been untouched. Go tall excited about doing a British force for the Siege of Calais. Even got a Mk IV for them. But they have languished in the cupboard for years. Your tips on converting late war Brits will hopefully do the trick for me as it was the lack of rank and file that slowed me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron for your comments and great to hear I have inspired you to start on your BEF troops.
      cheers John

      Delete
  12. Wonderful work John, your collection grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, looking forward to your next posting
      cheers John

      Delete
  13. John, I’m working on my own BEF troops now and I keep referring to your wonderful work. Would you mind sharing what color you used for the leather jerkin and the gas detection brassard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, sorry for late reply, I don't get notified anymore when someone makes a comment on my blog. The Leather Jerkin/gas detection brassard colour I use is Vallejo Model colour Red leather, highlight by adding VMC stone grey to Red Leather.
      cheers John

      Delete