CLINK HERE FOR A COMPLETE INDEX TO ITEMS ON THIS BLOG

Saturday 29 April 2017

CHAIN OF COMMAND TRACKER "FINAL ONE"

FINAL CHAIN OF COMMAND TRACKER "MARK V"

On completion of  my MARK III version of my Chain of Command Tracker I constructed a larger tracker "Mark IV"  and packed it with all sorts of information. I thought this was going to be my final tracker but after using it while playing Chain of Command game, I found it was not as effective. It was much easier viewing the effect of rolling "Bad things happen" on a reference sheet rather than on the Tracker. 
I decided I needed to make a "simpler Tracker" but I also wanted one which looked a bit retro (WW 2 like).
Upon  viewing a imagine of a  1940 British wireless Set #18 , I decided to base my new design on it. 
Mark V Tracker made  completely from MDF , a couple of bolts and nuts, perspex, sheet metal, 2 x earth magnets and  painted Black and  German Field-grey. The white writing I painted by hand, I also painted some fake screws on the tracker.

The large dial records the Force Morale.
The effect of throwing the D6 for your Force's morale at the start of the game (with modifiers for -/+ for Green/Elite troops) is listed on the left side of the large dial.


The right side of the dial records the effect of reduced Morale suffered during the game which starts effecting the command of the troops when Force Morale drops to 4 and below.


Since the majority of players  game with Regular troops, I designed the tracker around these troops.
If Elites troops are used and there Force Morale drops to 4 or below, then add the modifier on the bottom right of the large dial, so Elites would add another Command dice.
If using Green troops the modifier would be minus another Command dice.


The smaller dial records the number of 5's rolled with the  Command Dice.
When the dial reaches 6 it is reset to 0 and the small perspex piece is moved up over the appropriate number of Chain of Command Dice, accumulated.

The clear perspex has 2 very small earth magnets in-bedded within the perspex.
The  small boxed area  has a thin overlay of sheet metal glued down on top of the MDF, this allows the magnets to adhere and allows for up/down movement of the piece of perspex.

Imagine shows 2 x Chain of Command Dice have been accumulated (available to be used) and 1 x pip has been accumulated on the Chain of Command Dice with the Force Morale set on 10.
The tracker accommodates 5 x 16 mm dice (for Regular troops) or 6 x 12 mm dice (for use with Elite troops) .  

This image compares the size of the  "Mark IV" and "Mark V"  tracker, 28mm figure thrown in for scale.
(As you can see, the Mark IV is packed with info)

Image of 1940 British wireless Set #18 which I loosly based my Tracker on .

6 comments:

  1. Next step is an AP for smart phones and I pads! Great stuff!!
    Dick Bryant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dick for your comment,I wish I was electrically minded so I could. :-)
      cheers John

      Delete
  2. Great piece of work! A lot of thought went into that design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely insane. You are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Baconfat, Warbases a company in the UK is interested in reproducing it for sale but may take some time. Will post on blog if this does happen.
      cheers John

      Delete