CLINK HERE FOR A COMPLETE INDEX TO ITEMS ON THIS BLOG

Sunday 24 November 2019

SCRATCH BUILD TRAIN STATION MDF part 1

Another  MDF scratch build project, this time I constructed a Train station with 2 platforms,one larger than the other both made from 3mm MDF.
These will be feature pieces on one of the gaming tables at CANCON 2020 using the "Swift to Support" scenario from the Blitzkrieg 1940 Chain of Command handbook. 

LARGE TRAIN PLATFORM
This is the large train station Platform with a ramp to one side.

It consists of two building as always I used a hand motor to etch in the detail. 

Rear view of the station with stairs leading up to the entrance.
View of the cardboard tiles in place.
To maximize the use of the building for other gaming purposes ,I decided not to glue down the buildings onto the platform. 
  
Front view 


Rear view


Removable roof.

The door where made from cardboard, etched and a thin layer of superglue was placed over them to make them more ridged.

Small building from the large train platform showing some battle damage.



Removable roof.
  
SMALL TRAIN PLATFORM
Small train platform

Also showing lots of battle damage.

The rain shelter is removable

The smaller building is also removable this time I placed a magnet on the base to secure it in place . As mentioned before I wanted to make the use of the buildings dual purpose. 
Rear view.

Made a ramp for the transfer of larger goods to and fro from the train. 

Close view of some of the damage to the floor tiles and walls of the building.



Start of the project making the base. 
Once I constructed the building, I  cut square pieces of cardboard to  simulate tiles for the platforms floor.


Using  a sharp instrument to facilitate the  picking up and placing the pieces of cardboard in place on-top of the PVA glue.
On to painting them.

Cheers John 








17 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it finished and painted as it should look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they will finished soon
      cheers John

      Delete
  2. Great stuff, John! I guess the larger station building could perhaps do double duty as a village school or "cottage hospital :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TamsinP for your comments, great suggestions.
      cheers John

      Delete
  3. Words fail me......."Wonderful" doesn't quite cut it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your work, John. I like the idea of the buildings being removable too, I was wondering about magnetising them but as I scrolled down I saw you thought of that too. Can't wait to see the final result. I really should see if I can make it over to Cancon and see these in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kym for your comments and yes I too am looking forward to having them on the gaming table.
      cheers John

      Delete
  5. Another cracking stratch build there John, look forward to seeing this with some paint on (and seeing it on one of the CoC tables at Cancon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, yes primed and starting the painting process.
      cheers John

      Delete
  6. A magnificent build there John! Clever building techniques and wonderful attention to detail too.
    A question if I may ... given that you have to do quite a bit of cutting and etching, etc, how do you protect yourself from the 'orrible MDF dust?
    Thanks for posting, can't wait to see the painted versions!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt,Yes it can get very dusty with the MDF fine particles, to protect myself I wear a long sleeve gown with seals on the wrists very similar to surgical gowns,safety glasses, nose/mouth masks with external cartridges for fine dust and ear muffs for the noise and done outdoors.
      cheers John

      Delete