CLINK HERE FOR A COMPLETE INDEX TO ITEMS ON THIS BLOG

Sunday 14 January 2018

RADAR STATION part 1

Another project for Cancon 2018, a Radar station.
 I was asked to construct a Radar station by the TO of Cancon. 
I wanted some inspiration for this  project and remembered Richard's radar station on  on Toofatlardies 
The first image on Richard's blog was that of a radar station in France, a relic from the war still intact. I decided that I would model my radar station on that, using 3 mm MDF. 
I started this project a little while ago and tonight put together the final touches ready for the painting stage.

 
Almost finished 
  

The planning stage: 
I use the height of the door in the image, as a reference  for estimating the measurements of the different components of the radar station.
I retrieved lots of images from different angles of the radar station on the web .


Start cutting the MDF 


The start of putting the different components together.


The construction of the radar disc was a challenge, I gave up trying to make one up from MDF ans started thinking "outside the box" and visited the local 2 dollar store and purchase this utensil.


Cut the handle off and it was the perfect size for the radar disc.


I fasten the metal to the MDF using wire.


This is the bottom of a plastic container, I cut of the base.


and with the use of a hobby knife and a Dremel type hand motor I trimmed it.


Cut out the middle and glued it into the inner portion of the disk.


I made the base with a number of MDF hexs and glued and screwed it in place.


Used styrene strips for some of the details 


the rail is  wire found in my garage,bend into shape and glued in postion


back view





image showing where I positioned the trimmed plastic container base.


Before placing the plastic trim ,I sprayed the inner surface of the disk with spray adhesive and  lined  it with a white fine polyester fabric. (used to decorate bombardier with).  

 I also used bits from infantry plastic sprues for the bolts on top of the hex.
.


cheers John 




14 comments:

  1. That's a lovely looking model. Just the thing for the Commandos or Rangers to fight over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks nitpickergeneral, I am sure the Commandos and Rangers will be keen to blow it up
      cheers john

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to blow it up at CANCON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha you have to first get thru my Panzer Grenadiers Chris.
      cheers John

      Delete
  3. Fantastic. You have been very busy with all your posts John and they have all been superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat and yes in a mad rush to complete items for the tournament at CANCON
      cheers JOhn

      Delete
  4. A fun and very effective project. Looking forward to the finished article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Unlucky General and thanks for your comments.
      cheers John

      Delete