CLINK HERE FOR A COMPLETE INDEX TO ITEMS ON THIS BLOG

Tuesday 8 December 2020

SCRATCH BUILT 15cm sIG 33

Took advantage of the very hot weather here in Sydney last weekend as an excuse to stay indoors,not venture into the sun and work on a number of  wargaming projects, this being one of them, a Scratch Built 15cm sIG33. 

It costs 7 support points, AP value of 8, HE value of 13 and it also decreases Cover level by 1 Level, a useful gun to deal with armour or enemy troops bunching up together.😏 

The gun in action.
The scratch build starts with cutting off a piece of an old paint brush handle seen in red and threading a plastic tubing around it this is the barrel of the gun, I also used some scrap MDF for the carriage frame as can by seen top left. 

The wheels are carved from left over Perry miniature bases  and I used lots of plastic odds and ends to build the rest of the gun. 

Its not a reproduction but I am happy it will pass as a
15cm siG 33.

Gun primed with black undercoat.

Its mounted on a thin sheet of metal contoured around the gun.

I used Vallejo model colour Middlestone for the base of the gun and highlighted with further coats by adding VMC Iquai sand.  

The spade is a left over from another kit.




Back at CANCON 2018 I constructed a Brecourt Manor gaming table, the need for leFH 18/40 10.5cm howitzers, saw me purchase one  from Warlord games to use as a basis to  scratch build 3  more (as it would be costly buying 4 guns, which would only to be used on once ).
As I did not use the crew figures,I left them on the unpainted pile of lead but with the construction of the siG 33 I retrieved them and painted and flocked them ready to man the siG33.

The gun actually needs one Junior Leader and a crew of five, so I will make up the extra crew needed from another crew served gun in my Late war support.



CHEERS JOHN 

25 comments:

  1. That's bloody lovely, but your crew r stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also what do you scale your scratch built stuff off, scale drawing or just eye it??

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bradley for your comments, I eye it by looking at a lot of images on the web trying to find images of people standing or kneeling close to the gun then relating them to my 28mm figures, the measurements are not perfect but I think they do the job. looking at it now I should have made the shield on the front of the gun a little more wider.
      cheers John

      Delete
  2. Well done, great looking gun and crew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's another great scratch build John, which I love to see, so keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Steve
      cheers John

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you TamsinP for your comments
      cheers John

      Delete
  5. Bloody brilliant I say! Ever thought about publishing a book on how you go about your scratch building?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too kind Nick, involves a lot of work as I can see with Pat's books but have been tossing up ideas for a Jungle/ desert terrain how to make book but its only a idea at the moment.
      cheers John

      Delete
  6. Superb John! I'd second Nick's comment about a book.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always impressed by your work

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent scratch building John.. You keep amazing with all the items you create.

    ReplyDelete