CLINK HERE FOR A COMPLETE INDEX TO ITEMS ON THIS BLOG

Saturday 27 November 2021

JAPANESE SPIDER HOLES / ENTRENCHMENTS

My Initial  intention was to create  2 Japanese Riflemen in Spider holes however as they were quick and easy to make, I decided to make more for the dual purpose use, as an entrenched section.  

If you have been following my blog, you will have noted that I normally make my entrenched infantry figures to be able to be removed from their foxholes see the following links:

British Infantry entrenchment and German Infantry entrenchments.

Japanese troops in sniper holes, popping up after the Australian patrol passes by.
Completed spider holes/entrenchments.
As mentioned previously, my initial intention was only to make sniper holes, I wanted to make them as small as possible. 
First step in the construct was to cut down the Warlord games plastic torso a short distance from the arm pits, then attached the head ,arms and rifle/LMG/ammo mag. Next step, super glue the figure to the metal base and use liquid Green stuff to fill in any gaps.
I used Milliput to create the sniper hole, fist step,  roll a  a sausage shape piece ofMulliput and place it as close as possible to the figure, use a carving instrument toblend and cover the metal base, being carful to keep the hole effect around the body intact.
I also created rifle straps from the Milliput and set aside to dry and prime with can of Black primer.
Once the primer has set, paint the earth around the figure first then move onto painting the figures.
I am also in the process of making a Junior leader to join the section.


Add flock and they are ready for deployment, this shoot show how low profile they are.
Japanese Infantry section set up in entrenchments.

Cheers John 

14 comments:

  1. They look brilliant John. I've thought of doing something similar for my 10mm figures, but their size makes it a bit more awkward, but this might inspire me to give it a go:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, yes would be a bit more fiddley but I'm sure you can do it.
      cheers John

      Delete
  2. Great idea!
    And also great execution 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you demi_morgana for your comments
      cheers John

      Delete
  3. I am not sure if I would have the patience but they look great. By the way your terrain is really the business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, been eagerly following your campaign in the pacific.
      cheers John

      Delete
  4. These do look brilliant. A great look on the table top, either as dug in troops, or the aforementioned spider holes.

    Pity the poor Australians being ambushed so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthony for your comments and yes not looking good for the Australians
      cheers JOhn

      Delete
  5. This is such a simple, but amazing idea. I feel ashamed for not thinking of it myself...but that's partly the reason for checking out your blog on a regular basis: picking up great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like this Parttimegamer and thanks for your comments.
      cheers John

      Delete